The Budokwai - Club Rules
The Budokwai is Europe's oldest and most prestigious Judo and Martial Arts Club. We value our members and guests and wish to offer the very best experience. The essence of Martial Arts lies in respect for yourself, your fellow Martial Artists, Senseis and your dojo.
- Membership to the Club is granted at the Management's discretion and upon adherence to the Club Rules. Our discretion operates reasonably and in compliance with the law.
- If members or guests have any complaints, they are to be reported in the first instance to the Reception team, and / or Manager.
- Members and guests are required to sign in with the Reception team upon entry to the Club, even if classes are pre-paid.
- Membership is not transferable.
- Child members must be accompanied by their responsible adult at all times when in the Club outside of their designated class hours.
HOUSE AND DOJO ETIQUETTE
- All members and guests must train in a clean gi or suitable attire.
- All member and guests must be aware of the relevant dojo codes, Judo Moral Code. Dojo Kun.
- Shoes must be worn to and from the dojo and at all times in the toilets. Shoes must be left outside the dojo and never worn inside.
- Long hair must be tied back.
- Nails and toe nails must be clipped and clean.
- No watches or jewellery can be worn whilst training.
- No alcohol or substances can be consumed before training or on site.
- No smoking or vaping on site.
- It is advisable for women to wear a white T-Shirt under their gi.
- Members and guests must not train if they have had diarrhoea or vomiting within 24 hours.
- Members and guests must inform the Sensei or Session Leader of any pre-existing injuries and operate within capabilities.
- Members and guests who are injured during a class, must alert the Sensei or Session Leader immediately and the member or guest must fill out a report in the Accident Book held in the Reception.
- Members and guests are responsible for their possessions. Small personal items can be stored securely in the lockers with an old £1 coin or a token from the Reception.
- No scooters or bicycles are allowed anywhere in the building.
- Budokwai Babies and Toddlers - all buggies and strollers must be kept in the Men's changing room.
- All hallways and doorways must be kept clear.
- All members and guests must familiarise themselves with the fire drill procedure. Information is on the noticeboard.
- Members and guests must use their phones and cameras appropriately within the Club. If you post footage online and it involves others, permission must be sought and agreed.
- No filming or photography is allowed in the changing rooms.